Energy Sustaining Snacks for a Long Day at the Barn
Long days of sun up to sun down, riding, grooming and stable up keep can take a toll on both mind and body; preparing for each day with easy on the go snacks to keep the body nourished will allow for better focus, increased energy and better physical recovery. Each of the snacks listed below provide moderate amount of protein, to sustain lean tissue; carbohydrate, to provide the body with quick acting energy and healthy fat to sustain blood sugar, therefore sustaining stamina and mental clarity.
“Coconutty “Trail Mix
- 1 cup cashews (dry roasted, salted)
- 1 cup almonds (dry roasted, salted)
- ¼ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup dried coconut flakes
- ¼ cup carob chips
Place all of the ingredients in a bowl or a giant zip-lock bag, shake it up and go!
Chicken & Hummus Lettuce Wraps
Get Creative! See what snack combos you can make with delicious lettuce scoops instead of high carbohydrate, energy stealing bread.
- Lettuce scoops
- Olive oil based hummus
- Diced chicken
- 1 tsp butter or refined coconut oil
- Diced peppers (any color)
- Sauté chicken in butter or coconut oil until cooked thoroughly
- Allow chicken to cool
- Spoon 1 tsp of hummus into each lettuce scoop
- Top with chicken
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt & pepper
- Add peppers and other veggies on top
On- the- Go Snack Box
- 1 all natural string cheese (brands such as Applegate farms and Horizon are hormone free)
- 1 all natural chicken jerky, turkey or beef jerky OR
- 1 boiled egg
- 1 handful grapes
- 3 oz. nuts (almonds, cashews, pecans and walnuts are all great choices)
Place all of the ingredients in a glass Pyrex or Tupperware container (Target and other stores have great options with separate compartments)
Apple & Nut butter
- 1 small organic apple
- 2-3 tablespoons sunflower seed butter or almond butter (both are less inflammatory alternatives to peanut butter)
Try sunbutter bites for a sweet treat on –the-go. These tiny treats will satisfy any sweet tooth and will provide the body with healthy fat to keep you moving all day long!
- 1 cup Oatmeal (regular, not instant)
- 1/2 cup Flax Seed, ground (golden)
- 1/2 cup carob or mini Chocolate Chips
- 1/3 cup Coconut Flakes, sweetened
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 cup SunButter
- 1/3 cup honey
- Add first 4 ingredients to a bowl and combine.
- Add last 3 ingredients to bowl with dry ingredients and combine.
- Refrigerator dough for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into small bite-sized balls.
Research shows that eating every 2-3 hours helps support a healthy metabolism and can provide for better athletic performance. Balance is the key to feeling and performing your best, even when days are long. Prepare yourself by packing some stable bites that are yummy and convenient!
Dinner Mom – Sunbutter Energy Bites